I actually had my first comment from a stranger trying to tell me what to do with my body. Very interesting, but a far more positive experience than I would have thought. We were leaving the airport parking lot, and the cashier said, "Are you pregnant? How far along are you? Should you be flying?" I told her I was due in November and was fine to fly, and she just laughed at herself for trying to be my doctor. It was pretty funny. Far better than if some stranger had said, "you shouldn't eat that" or something along those lines. I keep expecting someone to say something obnoxious at the gym or something. But so far, nothing. As an aside, I'd like to point out to all you friends and family that this paragraph is aimed solely at stranger comments. If you see me eating something that contains toxic waste, I'm not going to chew you out for informing me about it.
Rob and I had a great time this past weekend in Charleston with the whole family. There were lots of games, lots of good food, and lots of baby tickling. Gaby entertained us all with a game that involved giving out and taking away tennis balls (I'll have to see if I can find the home edition in stores), and Chloe had fun shrieking and trying to rip my face off. We can't wait to see everyone again in a few short months.
And how is Bagel this week? He's great! He has been kicking up a storm the past two days or so. Mostly aiming at my bladder. Thanks buddy! I got some more of those big pushes out on my belly last night that felt like an alien trying to break out. Pretty cool. This week, Bagel is a little more than a pound and a half and almost 9 inches long. I've read that this is a bit taller than two juice boxes stacked one on top of the other and almost as heavy as four juice boxes. In your mind's eye, please confine your images to boxes that contain 100% juice. We're not talking Capri Sun here, tasty though it may be. Bagel gets only the best and most nutritious juice boxes, and I don't want him bouncing off the walls (aka my internal organs) on a sugar high.
This week, Bagel's skin is turning pinker because capillaries are forming under the skin and filling with blood. Later this week, blood vessels will also develop in his lungs, bringing him closer to being able to breathe on his own (but not there yet). His nostrils are also starting to open. For all I know, he's practicing picking his nose. Let's hope not. I'd rather you leave your temporary home as spic and span as it was when you got there, Bagel. He's now taking practice breaths, though they are of amniotic fluid rather than air.
The most awesome change this week? If you put your ear to my belly, you might be able to hear Bagel's heartbeat. Rob and I tried it this weekend with no luck, but it was still a bit early. We'll try again soon. Rob has also been talking to Bagel quite a bit, saying hey, it's your daddy and I love you and all manner of vomit inducing things. It's sweet and could be the reason for the kicking increase. Maybe Bagel wants to break out and come meet his dad. :)
I know, I know. You're still pissed after reading this whole big post with all these scary, complex words like "capillaries" and "burrito" without any picture to look at as your reward. Ok, fine. Here's a picture:
Yammas! We must be only ten miles from Mendo.
ReplyDelete