Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Week 33 -- Silbley FAIL...and WIN!

I was looking forward to logging on yesterday and blogging about our super special one day intensive labor and childbirth class at the hospital where Bagel will come into the world. On Sunday, Rob and I got up super early for our 9 am class because the national triathalon was that day and totally blocking all the roads to the hospital (AWESOME). We got there at about 10 minutes before class started and were the only ones there. Couples started to trickle in. And trickle in. And wait around. And get restless. And wonder where the hell the instructor was. And complain to hospital personnel.

About half the men felt they needed to "do something." So they all went and moved their cars to find street parking so they wouldn't have to pay so much for Sibley's expensive lot.

After an hour, a woman finally came in, apologized profusely, and told us that the class was canceled. They just could not get a hold of our instructor. No one had any idea where she was or why she wasn't in contact. She said we could take any other class and they would schedule us in whether the class was full or not (they offer this class every weekend). So we left feeling not so confident in the hospital where our precious Bagel is entering this world. But Rob was happy that he got to watch Week 1 of football.

The head of the program called me yesterday, rescheduled me to the date I wanted (the 26th), and said they were refunding the entire class price! Confidence restored! Now we get a free class and it won't interfere with football. So it all works out in the end.

My stress level seems to be ratcheting up with each day closer to my due date. I just feel like there's so much left to do before he gets here. I'm starting to resent having to go to work every day because I just want to be home cleaning, organizing, and putting together furniture. It's making me realize that our daycare option in my building at work was a good call. I certainly wouldn't want to be feeling resentful like this for the next few years, wishing I were home with the baby instead of working. This way, Bagel will be just down the hall. At least until preschool.

Despite the stress, I've got so much to look forward to, in addition to our childbirth class. Grandma and Grandpa are currently winging their way across our great nation and will be here this evening for a visit. Hopefully, they will get to see some belly dancing from Bagel while they're here. We've also got my shower this Saturday! I can't wait to celebrate Bagel with friends and family and feed him some cake. He'll love that!

Bagel's no longer a squash! I am now officially in Month 8 and he is a honeydew. Yum! He's between 17 and 19 inches and more than four and a half pounds. If he's been a shortie until now, he could actually grow a full inch or more this week alone. Gadzooks! My amniotic fluid has reached its max amount this week, so I now have more baby than fluid now. That means that it's a lot easier to feel all his moving about (which he's doing right now). He now opens his eyes when he's awake and closes them when he's sleeping, and he can tell night and day. This is because my belly is stretched like crazy, so he can see all the light shining in through the skin. He definitely has his sleepy and awake times. He's generally up and kicking when I'm on the metro on my way to work. And sometime between 2 and 4 am, he likes to spaz out and practice field goal kicks. I think he's already worked his way up to a 50 yarder. The best thing this week is that he's developed his own immune system to protect him from mild infections.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I get to see baby belly in less than a week! You can totally put me to work cleaning and, well, I would say putting together furniture, but I know you wouldn't want to share in that fun, but whatever else while I'm there!

    Say hi to Booby and Grandfather for me.

    ReplyDelete