Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Week 34 -- Bagel is Showered With Love

At our baby shower! We had such an exciting and exhausting week/weekend. Grandma and Grandpa were here for a visit, which was all kinds of fun, and now they're off jaunting around Italy. Such a rough life.

Saturday was the baby shower, and it was fantastic. Thanks to Grandma and Aunt Julie for a fun and delicious shower. We had great food, fun games, and lots of time spent with family and friends. Everyone got to guess how fat I am now, and everyone brought a book for Bagel and I had to guess who brought which book. I was terrible at that game. But now we have some great books. We also decorated onsies. You can tell which ones I made, because they're awful. You can tell which ones Julie and Kate made, because they're awesome. Bagel got some wonderful gifts, including several adorable outfits, a car seat, snuggly blankets, and a hand knitted hat, kimono, and blanket from Auntie Laura, which are beautiful.

I know you're all scrolling down, looking for the pictures. They're coming! I'll update with pics later when I get them from Jules. She chronicled the day with her fancy camera and even took some cool belly shots of me. I'll put them in a separate post, even. :)

I also had a doctor's appointment yesterday. Well, it was supposed to be a doctor's appointment, but my doc was stuck in the OR, and my appointment was with the nurse/midwife in the practice instead. I had never met with her before. She. Is. AWESOME. She just spent way more time with me than a doctor ever would. We took a listen to Bagel's heartbeat, and she stayed on it for a good long while, because she could tell I was enjoying it. He was thump thumping along at 141 bpm. She also took the time to point out where all his little parts were in there. She showed me where his head was (still down!), and his little tush, and his kicky feet. Then we went in her office to discuss my questions and whatnot.

Apparently, in August, my platelets were 138K. The midwife said that's ok, and they'll test again next appointment, since they'll be taking blood then anyway. My next appointment is in two weeks, and it's going to be a biggie. That's when they start doing internal exams to check how things are progressing and when he might come out (even though it doesn't really tell you when he's ready to come out -- he'll get here when he gets here). They'll test me for a bunch of stuff too. The midwife suggested that, at 36 weeks, I start taking Evening Primrose Oil. It's supposed to soften things up for the baby to come out. She said it shortens labor. Bring it on! After that appointment, I'll be seeing the doctor weekly. I've already set up all my appointments through November 4th (in case Bagel decides to show up late to the party). I can't believe it's all flying by this quickly!

This week, Bagel is still rocking the honeydew, which we enjoyed at the shower. He's also about the size of a 5 lb bag of flour. So we could make bagels out of Bagel. But please don't.

He might be so big now that he's taking up all the available space in there and can't just float around. He might even be all tucked up. I don't think he is though, because I can feel his little feet all stretching out into my ribs (fun!). This week, his adrenal glands are producing hormones and his skin is becoming less red and wrinkly as he fattens up. Also, his testicles are probably descending this week. What a milestone! I'm still waiting on mine.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't pulled the pictures off my camera yet, sorry! I should have time tonight.

    Since your husband thinks that honeydew is just a poor man's version of cantelope, maybe you should say he's cantelope sized?

    ReplyDelete