Monday, October 19, 2009

Week 38 -- Ok, We're Getting Antsy Here

You guys are gonna be so bored after last week's picture/video extravaganza. I got nothing here. Except I feel way more pregnant-y by the day, and I know by next week, I'm going to want this kid OUT!

Ok, I do have some fun news from my doctor's appointment last Wednesday. I hadn't updated until now because I'm debating about how much TMI-type info I want to share on here. I mean, this is going in an album for Bagel. He probably doesn't want to hear about my cervix. So I'll just use medical lingo and see how that goes.

Anyhoodle, I am definitely progressing! I am 1 cm dilated and the doc says he's very low in my pelvis. So that's great. He's moving down and getting ready to make his way out. I am not effaced at all yet. See? Medical lingo. If you don't know what that means, you can either look it up, or you probably don't want to know anyway.

This does not mean I'm going into labor tomorrow or anything. I could be 1 cm dilated for weeks. But it's a good sign that things are as they should be. Most importantly, Bagel is facing my back, which is fabulous. If he were facing upwards, or "sunny side up," labor would be more difficult and it causes back labor, which is crazy painful. Even more crazy painful than regular labor. NO THANK YOU BAGEL.

I've got my next appointment on Wednesday, so we'll see if Bagel and I have progressed any further then. Wednesday is also a big day for another reason. Rob and I have decided to have one last hurrah just the two of us and go out to a nice dinner in DC that night. It will probably be the last chance we have to do something like that for a while.

Meanwhile, we're just sitting around anxious for the Bagel to get here already. Rob is so ready that he hasn't been sleeping well. He keeps joking that he'll be the first father in history to get more sleep after the baby is born. I, meanwhile, am totally bored. I'm ready with everything! Hospital bag is packed and we're putting it in the car with the carseat tonight. Nursery is ready. Financial stuff is squared away. I even took a Red Cross class on basic first aid and CPR so I know what to do if Bagel starts choking on something. Like a bagel. Actually, I took an online class. The in person component is this weekend (although, being hugely pregnant, I may not be able to participate so much). I just know the next 2+/- weeks are going to DRAG. Sigh.

I think Bagel is getting antsy too. But he's still got some stuff to do. He's busy shedding the fine hair covering his body (lanugo) and the whitish coating on his skin (vernix). If he were to pop out this week, he'd have no trouble surviving on his own, though his lungs are still maturing, even now. He probably weighs about 7 pounds or so. He's also building up meconium in his intestines in anticipation of that first poop that will make Daddy so proud.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! It's almost time! Just 9 more days! At least, that's my guess in the pool. ;)

    Well it's better to be ready and waiting than to be taken by surprise, right? See if you can knit a second blanket in 2 weeks, or some other project that isn't really a big deal if it doesn't get done maybe? That's tough.

    Good luck in the home stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as the last hoorah, they'll be plenty more - that's what grandparents are for.

    ReplyDelete