But I'm trying to just take it one step at a time and get things squared away. A few days ago, I spent a few hours cleaning and organizing the linen closet between our bedroom and the nursery. It looks awesome. And it fit the baby bath stuff too. And Grandpa will be happy to hear that the toxic stuff is all on high up shelves now (even though it will be months before this kid can even roll over, let alone get into the closet). I may have to snap a picture for you guys later.
I know what you're thinking. Why is she whining about putting away clothes when we were promised amazing stories about her first internal exam at the doctor's this week? Oh, fine. It wasn't really all that exciting. They took swabs of things and tested for whatnot like they did at the beginning of the pregnancy. They also took more blood to check out my platelets, so we'll see how I'm doing on that front when I go back next week (I'm doing weekly appointments now!). I'm not dilated at all and the doc says Bagel has already started to descend into my pelvis, which is great. Looks like he's in a good position. His back is on my left side now, with his little hip jutting out to the left of my belly button and his little feet pedaling away on my right side (as several of you have now felt). Rob even felt his head last night, which was cool. I believe the doc described the situation as "perfectly normal" or something to that effect. Good job, Bagel!
I then went into the doctor's office and he went into mini lecture about what all to expect in terms of when to call, when to come in to the hospital, how long they let things progress before talking c-section, etc. Two good things stuck in my mind. One is that they don't do routine episiotomies. I do not want one of those. The second is that this doctor (who isn't my regular doctor, she was on vacation this week) is so supremely boring that I may not need an epidural because he can just talk to me and I might fall asleep.
I told the doc that I had started the Evening Primrose Oil as directed by the midwife. I also started drinking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, which is supposed to strengthen my uterus, and which the midwife said was not discouraged by the practice. The doctor said he didn't necessarily believe that either actually was beneficial, but that they wouldn't hurt and to go ahead and take them if I wanted. So I'm going to keep taking them and see what that gets me. I also told the doc that my acid reflux was getting really unbearable, so he said to go ahead and take some Zantac. So far, I am loving it.
Before I left, the doctor gave me a handout titled "Procedure Education Literature," which was sort of a summary of the spiel he had given. At the top it says "Vaginal Delivery" and under that it says, "Definition -- Vaginal = pertaining to the vagina; Delivery = to send." o_O
Clearly this is a handout for beginners who didn't take the super special intensive childbirth class.
This is Bagel's last week as a Honeydew and his last week before we're full term! He weighs about 6 pounds now (this is a very rough estimate), and he's growing rounder every day. About 15% of his total weight is now made up of fat. All his organs are developed and ready, though his lungs are still going through some fine-tuning. His bones are still quite soft so that he can fit through that doorway out into the world. They'll harden over the first few years of his life. His growth will now slow down so that he can store up his energy for the craziness that is being born.
Update: Here's a picture of the linen closet all organized. Jealous? I know you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment